Skip to main content

Interesting Articles - April 26th 2017

1. The best camera is the one that is in your pocket (5 mins)

Smartphone cameras have come a long way, and these experimental features (algorithms) on Nexus and Pixel devices are simple breathtaking. It's going to be exciting times in the near future with the sensors in the camera and what algorithms can do with those pixels.

https://research.googleblog.com/2017/04/experimental-nighttime-photography-with.html



2. The fixation with Singapore Healthcare system (5 mins)

The only healthcare system Conservatives and Republicans like is the Singapore Healthcare system. 

"What’s the reason for Singapore’s success? It’s not government spending. The state, using taxes, funds only about one-fourth of Singapore’s total health costs. Individuals and their employers pay for the rest. In fact, the latest figures show that Singapore’s government spends only $381 (all dollars in this article are U.S.) per capita on health—or one-seventh what the U.S. government spends.
Singapore’s system requires individuals to take responsibility for their own health, and for much of their own spending on medical care."


http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/25/15356118/singapore-health-care-system-explained


3. The wonders of Science - Researchers have Successfully grown Premature Lambs in an Artificial Womb (3 mins)

This is crazy! If all things go according to plan, the researchers plan to do this with humans in 3-5 years. As with any technology, there are pros and cons with this approach. Leaving the moral argument aside, one can see the benefits of eliminating the health risk of a pregnancy.

http://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-have-successfully-grown-premature-lambs-in-an-artificial-womb

4. Facebook + Data Science = Trove of Data! (12 mins)

This is almost 2 years old, but I just found it recently. If you are data nerd, this is gold!

http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2013/04/data-science-of-the-facebook-world/

Blue line is for Men and Pink Line is for Women.



5. USS Starship Enterprise

Just look at this picture. This building by a Chinese Entrepreneur is complete and it is awesome! The only thing I hope that it would do is....explore :-)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walmart retail in India -- A tough choice to pick

Walmart name and it's existence in my life took shape in 1996-1997 when my brother in law landed in United States. I still remember when my Brother-In-Law gifted us a book of America and it's beautiful images, which was bought from Walmart. Till then, I had no idea what Walmart was and what Sam Walton did to revolutionize the retail experience in United States. The real grasp of what Walmart does on a day to day basis to an average american and in general the United States economy, did not impact me till I landed in this country almost a decade back.  Almost a decade later, we have Walmart knocking doors at India's footstep. India too is looking to revamp and open up it's entire retail model at the same time. The decision of Indian government to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail is the most radical reform it has undertaken since 1992. What is so different about the proposed revamping of the retail space is how a FDI can directly buy from the local fa...

Microsoft Windows 8 consumer preview and its dilemma

Today was a day I was so looking forward too! I wanted to see what Microsoft had up it's sleeve and I was quite amazed to see what Microsoft has done with it's consumer preview version. According to Microsoft they have more than 100,000 changes from Window7 and I am sure they are right. It looks and feels a lot polished since the last time I played with it. When I installed my Windows 8 developer edition version last September on my main laptop, to say that I was upset was an understatement. I did get the point that it was a buggy product and they wanted to get it out for developers to start building apps on but it was really confusing. After today's consumer preview release I do see a huge improvement over the developer release. Everything is Metro UI. Everything! I am not looking at this release or this product from a tablet perspective. Microsoft has a 0% market share in tablet segment. I am still looking at this product from a Truck perspective. i.e. look...

Apple and Google - Tale of 2 photos from Tim Cook

I was watching the Apple event from this morning. It was nicely done by Tim Cook. He definitely has it's own personality for sure. There is a section in the video when Tim starts talking about iPad. There were two striking pictures that he presented to the whole world. I won't consider it a low blow, but it definitely showcased the real problem with Android tablets.  1. Twitter app on Samsung  + Android  tablet and how the Twitter app looks on iPad  2. Yelp app - Compared on how they looked on Samsung tablet and on iPad   There was also another reason of selecting Samsung tablet -- just to tell the world how they two look alike! But besides the point - Tim laid out the biggest problem for Android and why +Google is loosing on Tablets. It's the Apps  + Google   + Android   + Andy Rubin  !!!!! Just look at the apps, compare them and see why Android tablets are not selling like hot cakes even when they are cheap and t...