Skip to main content

Some App Ideas

Two ideas that got me excited today were not related to PeopleSoft deliverables, but something that happened at the end of the day.
The first was figuring out the restaurant address. My manager removed his Android phone and did a voice search on a restaurant. The results found out matched to what was requested for -- albeit wrong place. 
The second thing happened was right at the dinner table at Don Pablo's, we all were sharing some great information and enjoying some good Mexican food. Everyone with their smartphone were bragging about different apps and how they use them. One of the colleague showed me an app that she uses every day to track the calorie intakes. The app was called my fitness pal. It's a great app.
At the end of the dinner, it dawned to me that we are in this beautiful transition phase where we are seeing with our own eyes how the world interacts and is changing so rapidly. This two activities also gave me an idea for 2 apps that can be developed.
1. When my manager did a voice search, it should have only displayed the search results for the location the manager was rather than specifying the place. This should be simple for Google. Now note, he was signed on to Google with location services ON, yet it displayed the hotel in British Columbia, Canada. 
The phone should be smart to local search no matter what app I am using. 
2. The calorie counter app was great -- but could be awesome by adding location aware features. Rather than looking for a restaurant to enter the item that I ate, why not the app locate the place that I am and display the menu? Why not have a feature to do a goggles feature to scan the item and list the calories and if the person decides to order it, add it to the calorie counter?

This is exciting time for developers to develop applications based on real life experiences. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walmart retail in India -- A tough choice to pick

Walmart name and it's existence in my life took shape in 1996-1997 when my brother in law landed in United States. I still remember when my Brother-In-Law gifted us a book of America and it's beautiful images, which was bought from Walmart. Till then, I had no idea what Walmart was and what Sam Walton did to revolutionize the retail experience in United States. The real grasp of what Walmart does on a day to day basis to an average american and in general the United States economy, did not impact me till I landed in this country almost a decade back.  Almost a decade later, we have Walmart knocking doors at India's footstep. India too is looking to revamp and open up it's entire retail model at the same time. The decision of Indian government to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail is the most radical reform it has undertaken since 1992. What is so different about the proposed revamping of the retail space is how a FDI can directly buy from the local fa...

Microsoft Windows 8 consumer preview and its dilemma

Today was a day I was so looking forward too! I wanted to see what Microsoft had up it's sleeve and I was quite amazed to see what Microsoft has done with it's consumer preview version. According to Microsoft they have more than 100,000 changes from Window7 and I am sure they are right. It looks and feels a lot polished since the last time I played with it. When I installed my Windows 8 developer edition version last September on my main laptop, to say that I was upset was an understatement. I did get the point that it was a buggy product and they wanted to get it out for developers to start building apps on but it was really confusing. After today's consumer preview release I do see a huge improvement over the developer release. Everything is Metro UI. Everything! I am not looking at this release or this product from a tablet perspective. Microsoft has a 0% market share in tablet segment. I am still looking at this product from a Truck perspective. i.e. look...

Apple and Google - Tale of 2 photos from Tim Cook

I was watching the Apple event from this morning. It was nicely done by Tim Cook. He definitely has it's own personality for sure. There is a section in the video when Tim starts talking about iPad. There were two striking pictures that he presented to the whole world. I won't consider it a low blow, but it definitely showcased the real problem with Android tablets.  1. Twitter app on Samsung  + Android  tablet and how the Twitter app looks on iPad  2. Yelp app - Compared on how they looked on Samsung tablet and on iPad   There was also another reason of selecting Samsung tablet -- just to tell the world how they two look alike! But besides the point - Tim laid out the biggest problem for Android and why +Google is loosing on Tablets. It's the Apps  + Google   + Android   + Andy Rubin  !!!!! Just look at the apps, compare them and see why Android tablets are not selling like hot cakes even when they are cheap and t...